contact me at ~~~~ cakenotes@gmail.com

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Back to the Beginning---- creative outlet



So going to way back when... I have always been a little creative. I have all these creative ideas but I could never find an outlet. One day while watching Ace of Cakes I think to myself.... "I can do this..I can make these cakes" So I started looking up places that I could learn this craft. There are only so many things on youtube and on the Internet and that's when I came across a golden egg called The Cake Craft Shoppe. I found a professional fondant class and decided to give it a try. Little did I know that I was getting myself into more than I actually knew. After 40 hours and a ton of new ideas and utensils later I had created 5 cakes. Not the best you have ever seen but non the less I personally thought I had a bit of a skill. I had finally found my creative outlet.


This was the second cake I made.. it is a styrofoam dummy cake that I covered in chocolate fondant. It was not easy and to be honest the first bouts I had with fondant... well lets just say I thought the fondant won! lol These are the first flowers I made though and well the flowers are what hooked me. I decided to keep battling the fondant just so I could accent it with beautiful hand made sugar flowers. I used two different shades of yellow and pink to make these simple flowers.
The day after I made the above dummy cake we made this cake. This is my actual FIRST REAL cake that I covered with fondant... and let me tell you just like before I was soooo scared! A procrastinating perfectionist at heart this fondant made me so nervous. This cake was actually covered in two pieces one long strip that I rolled over with a basket weave rolling pin and then attached around the cake in one piece. Then the top square was placed on top and the edges were crimped together with a crimper. The flowers like before were the best part for me. They were made of colored gum paste and painted with luster dust. Each side of the cake was a different color. Oh and the cake inside was lemon....... yum yum... my favorite flavor cake so far.

No comments: