contact me at ~~~~ cakenotes@gmail.com

Saturday, September 19, 2009

"The 30th B-day Cake"

THE 30TH BIRTHDAY CAKE

So cake-tastrophy aside we re-baked all the cakes from Tuesday night on Wednesday. The cake actually turned out really really good! I always bake a little bit of extra cake because I want to make sure to taste the cake I am serving to people. We made this cake of chocolate cake with strawberry filling and strawberry cake with chocolate filling, it really was delish! So as far as the construction goes on this cake I actually learned several things......

1. airbrushing with luster dust..... is not as easy as it seems and until it completely dries the luster dust gets everywhere...

so yes this is me with pink luster dust covered hands....lol I really had that pink everywhere... Aaron was busy building a cat fort out of a cardboard box so I had to do the air brushing on this cake... I really think he just did not want to get pink all over him.. lol





2. is that I should use black fondant instead of white fondant that I have to airbrush black... so on top of the pink luster dust I have black liquid
air brush color all over and it mixing with the pink....

This pictures is my honey airbrushing the black balls.... See I
told ya'll he did not want to use pink.. because now that I am done with the pink he is ready to airbrush... but that's cool with me because I have to cut a ton of matching white squares for the
checkerboard.


3. The next thing I discovered is that making a checkerboard is a lot harder than I thought it was going to be. First I had to cut the white squares, then have Aaron airbrush them black and then before they dried too much (because they were fondant) I have to get them on the cake, and in the process not get any of the black airbrush on the white cake.... This was extremely difficult and took a lot of patience.. which at 12am thank goodness I had some to spare.

In this picture you can see the beginning of my construction. Next time I will use black fondant or use some black gum paste that wont dry out too fast...



And now for the completion of the checkerboard along with all the little pink dots I made (and airbrushed..) With little silver balls in the middle of the pink dots... another thing I would do a little different... I would make the pink dots a little bit thicker.



I will have to mention at this point is when I actually start to really like the cake.. and I can really see it coming together like the drawing.. The pink on this cake was absolutely gorgeous.






So now for the finished product. This cake was a little challenging but considering that I have never done checkerboard before I think it came out exceptionally well, and I was really happy with this cake. The 30 is made of airbrushed gum paste. Oh and my sister (who requested it) was really excited about it .. and well that is the best part of making a cake like this is to make the recipient happy.

No comments: