contact me at ~~~~ cakenotes@gmail.com

Monday, September 28, 2009

"Cup Cake Notes"



CUPCAKES!!!

So low and behold I have divulged into the cupcake world, and let me tell you I might not go back to cakes lol... just joking, although the cupcakes were so much easier. First of all let me say it really stinks that I am enjoying this hobby and learning so much now b/c I just don't have the time to make all the cakes that people are requesting. I guess it could be worse.. no one could want my cakes... anyways I want to say sorry to all of my fans (lol I have some fans) that I cannot make cakes for.... Well now on to the cupcake story. So a friends asks me .."do you do cupcakes?" and well I thought I would give it a shot. My grandmas 83rd B-day party was this past sunday so I enlisted some help from my little sister to make her some amazing cupcakes. and of course I took pictures of the whole thing! :)



This is my little sis and her first lesson in sugar flowers. She was actually a natural and started making them faster than I was....We stayed up until around midnight making 24 sugar flowers by hand.




This was the first step of the creation building in my mind. The sugar flowers were going to take the most time, but they did come out beautiful if I do say so myself.. hm hm.... We made them out of white Satin Ice gum Paste and then dusted each layer a different color with luster dust and then glued them together with sugar glue.


We had so much fun making the different designs and I promise my sisters first flower was better than mine..lol I realized quickly I had to step up my game.................




So after making the flowers... we baked the cupcakes.. they were butter pecan flavored. and they came out beautiful................ much easier to tend to then the huge cakes.. and thank goodness we avoid a cake-tastrophy this time...
So next I decided to try something I found at kroger.... It is Icing in a box and well it says on the box that it is similar to homade icing however it is not made of grease.. YAY and it has no fat and no chlerosterol.... which makes me very happy...... so bought it to try it...

No offense to all you "bake everything from scratch people out there" but this time I enlisted the help from betty crocker.... It actually turned out really well and had an almost marshmallow feel to it.. I may have over beat it but it still tasted good and I felt good b/c my beautiful cupcakes were not covered in a glob of Crisco!





So here are some pics of the cupcakes covered in the icing.. which I piped onto them with a piping bag... (sooooo much easier than trying to use a spatula all those years I watched my mom beautifully ice cupcakes and if only I knew the secret of
decorating bags...... )
I crushed up some pecans and sprinkled them on top.... you know butter pecan cake I figured the pecans would give them a little crunch and help with the sweet of the icing.



after the pecans I drizzles some Carmel/butterscotch on the tops of the cupcakes. This was sooooo yummy.....




OK now I know you are ready to see the final product.. so wait no longer lol here are the finished cupcakes..... yay!!! :)

So I have to add one more picture. This one is of me, my sister, my cousin , my aunt , and of course my grandma...... she loved the cupcakes and was the first person to eat one... Oh and I used the crazy pictures... because thats what we are... "A crazy, loving family" and I love it.. plus.. it was the picture that I looked the best in.... What can I say??? It's my blog!

so yea my aunt is probably gonna hate this picture but oh well.. it was a great party... oh and my uncle snuck in there as well... HAPPY 83RD GRANDMA!


No comments: